DIABETIC LEG PAIN – Foot And Leg Pain From Diabetes: Its Causes And Home Remedies
Question: I am a diabetic person? My age is 48. I got pain in my feet and legs. What is the treatment for diabetic leg pain? I am taking treatment of acupuncture.
Answer: First and foremost, it is important to understand why you are having foot pain. Where is the pain located? When do you get the pain? Is the pain aggravated if you stand or walk for long distance? Is your diabetes under control? is this a diabetic leg pain?
It is important for you to ensure utmost foot care.
One of the major complications of diabetes is neuropathy, foot ulcer and gangrene of foot. Neuropathy simply means damage to nerves. Neuropathy in extremities usually occurs in people suffering from diabetes for 10 to 15 years. The intensity may range from mild discomfort to severe pain.
Pain and tingling numbness resulting as complication of diabetes has stumped medical profession, it is believed that some changes in nerve pathways occur, and it may be due to uncontrolled blood sugar level.
Although many people with good control may also suffer from this complication.
Can Diabetes Cause Foot And Leg Pain?
At least 50 percent of people suffering from diabetes suffer from shooting pain in extremities at some point in their life. Some people find difficulty in walking due to pain.
The shooting pain often interferes with sleep. Peripheral pain of diabetes neuropathy often disappears mysteriously as it had appeared.
In some cases it may lead to injury in the extremities when the sensation of pain is lost. It often happens on the bottom of feet, giving rise to foot problems.
Gangrene in the foot and foot ulcers occur, as the peripheral arteries reduce the blood circulation, due to atherosclerosis. People suffering from diabetes since long time have less sensation in lower extremities and feet.
Sometimes they may not be able to notice cuts, bruises, bunions, corns etc. Such minor injuries may result in an infection ending in an ulcer or gangrene.
High sugar levels in the blood promote the growth of bacteria which may result in an infection ending in gangrene.
DIABETIC LEG PAIN – Home Remedies For Foot And Leg Pain Due To Diabetes
Some precautions that you need to take:
- Firstly, ensure that your footwear is safe and healthy. Use sports shoes or diabetic slippers and avoid leather shoes. Ensure that your feet are fully covered when you go out, don’t use slippers, which can expose your feet and make them prone to injury or trauma.
- Ensure that your diabetes is under control. Visit your doctor on a regular basis. Get your blood evaluated for blood sugar levels. Also ensure that you follow the dietary guidelines provided by the nutritionist.
- Finally, it is important that you get yourself evaluated to understand the pattern of blood flow in your lower extremity. Ensure that you keep your limbs elevated to allow drainage of venous blood, especially when you are resting or at night. Please visit your doctor once in a month to confirm of the issue is diabetic leg pain.
- If you are smoking or drinking alcohol you have to stop it. Both are known to trigger atherosclerosis and diminish blood circulation in blood vessels of legs.
- Exercise regularly as it will ensure better blood circulation. Walking is the best exercise that you can do. Walk for 30 to 40 minutes daily. It will also help to maintain blood sugar level.
Alternative treatment such as acupressure, acupuncture, homeopathy, massage therapy may provide relief in pain.
Foods That Lower Blood Sugar: Natural Remedies To Reduce It
Diabetes is a condition which is commonly associated with elevated levels of sugar in the blood. Dietary regulations can help patients suffering from diabetes to lower the blood sugar levels naturally.
Elevated levels of blood sugar are often associated with increased risk of developing cardiovascular disorders and rapid spread of infections and delayed healing of wounds. Controlling blood sugar naturally is beneficial in the management of diabetes and complications associated with it.
There are certain foods that help in reducing the blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes in adults.
These foods either act on enhancing the production or sensitivity of insulin which in turn increases the absorption of glucose from the blood or hasten the burn down of glucose in the cellular tissue.
What Foods Lower Blood Sugar Levels?
Regular consumption of green tea has been found to be beneficial in lower blood sugar levels and also preventing atherosclerosis and heart disorders.
Green tea contains various antioxidants and catachien which is considered to have a potent action on reducing blood sugar levels. One cup of green tea can lower the blood sugar levels by as much as twenty points.
Decaf coffee is also considered beneficial. Caffeine tends to have detrimental effect on the blood sugar levels however some other components in coffee can actually help in reducing blood sugar levels, as per a study conducted in Japan Cinnamon is considered to have potential properties in reducing blood sugar levels.
A tea spoon of cinnamon can reduce blood sugar levels considerably and is also recommended by the American Medical Association for the control of diabetes.
Red wine is considered potentially beneficial in lower blood sugar levels. Studies have shown that red wine helps in promoting the absorption of glucose by the cells and in turn aids in reducing blood sugar levels. However caution is required and excessive consumption can result in liver damage.
How To Reduce Blood Sugar Levels Naturally?
There are certain factors that may result in aiding lowering blood sugar levels naturally.
These include the following:
- Regular exercise helps lower blood sugar levels naturally. Regular exercise for about twenty minutes each day can in turn enhance the body’s metabolism and increase the requirement of glucose by the body cells which in turn can help in burn down of fats and enhance metabolism of glucose.
- Getting adequate sleep is essential. A sleep of about seven to eight hours a day is crucial and enhances the normal functioning of the pituitary gland, which in turn controls the functions of all the other glands including the pancreas. A good sleep also helps reduce physical and psychological stress which in turn enhances the production of hormones by the endocrinal glands.
- Regular meditation and yoga are beneficial in distressing and help in improving blood sugar levels naturally.
- Avoid foods that are high in glycemic content instead opt for foods that are high in fiber content. Increase the intake of fruits, vegetables, whole wheat, oats and cereals. Reduce the intake of refined flour, processed food, aerated drinks and high fat products.
Ensure you take action in treating any possible diabetic leg pain at the early stage.